Lake Worth, Florida, sometimes known as “the Greenwich Village of South Florida”, is home base for the Core Ensemble. Our community’s abundant interest in the arts is one of the reasons we love being here, and the glorious weather is the frosting on the cake! The Core Ensemble has received the designation “Artists in Residence” at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, an inclusive Christian community (www.standrewslw.net). Our five-event 2015-16 free series at St. Andrew’s (100 N. Palmway, Lake Worth, FL 33460 includes:
- October 25th 4 pm – “Harvest of Voices-Cuentos de los Campos”
- January 17th 4 pm – A Musical and Theatrical Tribute to Fannie Lou Hamer
- (in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act)
- January 19th 7 pm – “Of Ebony Embers-Vignettes of the Harlem Renaissance”
- January 20th 2 pm – Beethoven/Brahms Recital by Core Ensemble pianist Hugh Hinton
- March 6th 4 pm – “Frida Kahlo Lives!” in celebration of Women’s History Month
For more information about the series at St. Andrew’s call 561-582-6609.
In addition, community outreach programs bring us to farm worker communities around Palm Beach County for performances of “Harvest of Voices” in English and Spanish. Educational programs celebrating diversity and social justice will bring us to schools and afterschool programs in Palm Beach and Broward Counties. All of this is made possible by the Broward Student Enrichment Trust Fund, the Florida Department of State Division of Cultural Affairs (www.florida-arts.org) and the Cultural Council of Palm Beach County (www.palmbeachculture.com).
Our local collaborators include the Farmworker Coordinating Council of Palm Beach (www.farmworkercouncil.org), the Broward County School Board, the City of Lake Worth Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee, and the Lake Worth Interfaith Network (www.lwinterfaith.net).